You want adventure...blog travel with me!!!

Friday, September 30, 2011

A Month in the UK - Week 3





















Day 15 (continuation) Week 3
Hello again, I am now into my 3rd week here in the United Kingdom.  And I must say I'm feelin' a lil' home sick.  Being a foreigner in a foreign land is great for the experience of a different culture altogether but it also makes you appreciate the things you are accustomed to at home.  For the most part, everything is done on a small scale here, which is totally opposite of Dallas, where everything is done a large, I mean a very large scale.  Most of the roads we've driven on were built for horse and buggies, not your typical SUV.  Like I said before a Hummer, Yukon or Denali, can forget about it.
Buckingham Palace entrance gates
Well, I have recooperated somewhat but I can't do another walk about like that again until I get to Ireland, which we leave on Sunday, so be on the lookout for those pics to come also when I return not sure yet if I will have access to Wi-Fi.  We will be in a hotel for the duration of our stay there in Dublin.  Nonetheless, lets talk about the sights of London.  We took the train from Orpington to the London Bridge station which put us about a mile's walk from Buckingham Palace.

This is the entrance to the Palace, once pass the  entrance it's a good mile walk to get to the front of the Palace.

We forgot to check what day the changing of the guard would be which it used to be everyday but "economy" changed that, now it's every other day.  Here are the mounted guardsmen, they look rather dashing, would you agree.  You gotta click on pic to view in closer.




Buckingham Palace
I'm making my way over to the front of the Palace








Okay, made it here I am --->   







More of Buckingham Palace.  If you notice the large section in the middle is where the prince & princess stand after they are married, with the latest being Prince William & new Princess Kate.





Here's a better shot of it ---> Recognize it now from what is shown on the news.  The place is absolutely gargantuan in size.









Just me again.  The place was swamped with tourists such as myself :)






We were making our way into the Royal Courts which is open to the public, this guard was actually on duty so I didn't want to get to close.  Everytime someone came out of their chambers he would do his routine sort of like how you would greet a person of royalty.
Royal Guard







Mounted Royal Guard on duty at his post.

Mounted Royal Guard







The other mounted Royal Guard.  There was one posted at each gate entrance.  Again, didn't want to get to close because they were actually on duty.



Well, it's 3:15pm there in Dallas & 9:15pm here in London & I need to stop & grab some supper but I will be back there's more pics to come.  I hope you're enjoying London thru my eyes and that the info. I'm sharing in my blog has provided a greater understanding of the great UK & all it has to offer.

Please check back soon....

Believe it or not, it takes a lotta work into blogging but it's a whole lotta fun.  So, here's the rest of the pics. I hope I can remember the names of the places, so bare with me.  Okay, we've left Buckingham Palace, that's it in the background.  It is so beautiful & a Palace indeed.  Moving on to the other popular sites.




Westminster Abby
The famous Westminster Abbey where Prince William & Kate Middleton were married.


In front of Westminster Abbey.  No photos allowed inside.  They also charge a fee to go inside.








The main entrance.  Beautiful isn't it?


Still somewhere around the Westminister Abbey court area.  The architecture is simply superb.  It gets even better.
Here's Big Ben.  It's big alright! To stand in front
Big Ben
of this historical wonder is a sight to see.
 See what I mean!!!!
Wow what a job to stand in front of a monumental feature and get paid.  It's his job also to take pics w/the tourist.  How fun :)
Here's Big Ben in it's full scale, it's attached to the Parliament Building, the Palace of Westminster & Cathedral.
Heading to "Downing Street" where the Prime Minister resides then to Trafalgar Square.
The Prime Minister's quarters & royal cabinet located
on Downing Street.  His name is David Cameron, he is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland & Arms of Her Majesty's GovernmentI did get a picture of him getting in his vehicle but it wasn't a good photo to share.
Moving on....
Trafalgar Square
Made it to "Trafalgar Square". The place you see on TV with the birds hangin around and they eat out of your hand well they don't supply the bird food to the people anymore because of the damage the birds were doing when they did their business...know what I mean? It was a lot of work to keep the sculptures clean and free of bird poop.
Wow! if nothing else they have huge sculptures.  I had to lean my body against this one to get close up for the pic. 
These lion statues were place around the square which I believe there were 4 of them.
They had several statue water spouts withing the fountain also, absolutely beautiful to see.
A street performer in the square.
 I know that's a bit much but he was rather entertaining.

This guy's act was to get out of a straight jacket.
We're in the Arts district now where most of the live shows are performed, such as the "Lion King", "Phantom of the Opera" .
Well, I leave you with a view of London in the background.  I must get myself packing to leave at 6am in the morning for Dublin.  Not sure if I will have time to blog.  I will be in a hotel & don't know if they have Wi-Fi, but they should have a business area with a computer.  So for now, please pray God's traveling grace while I cross the skies again.  And please check back for more updates from Traventure Woman travel blog.

Sunday Oct.2nd.  Just an update, I made it safely to Dublin, Ireland this afternoon...yeah!!! thank God.  Can't take anything for granted.  We've already been out to Central Dublin by way of the double decker bus.  Too fun.  It kinda reminds me of New York.  It's pretty upscale & a lot goin on.  I will see about posting some pics.  I'm in the hotel's Business Center using the computer.  Had to choose whether to carry my laptop or some other stuff.  The other stuff won.  I had to downsize a lot.  The airline RyanAir has a 30lb restriction for your checkin baggage & only limit to one bag.  I had my books & other things in my shoulder carry on.  Unlike in the U.S. it's 501b.   Anyway, check back & hopefully I will have some pics added.

Stay tuned....

Today is Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011, I am still here in Ireland and am having a ball of a time & sorry I am unable to upload any pics at this time, but will be able to tomorrow (Thurs.) after I get back into London.  We have an early flight out so soon as I get back to the house I will be blogging away & will pick up where I left off.

Nonetheless, to give you an idea of what I've been seeing.  The St. Patrick's Cathedral, which history says he was the one who brought Christianity to Ireland, but there are conflicting stories.  These pics are from a website.  I can't wait to share mine.  It was free to enter & I was able to take pics.St. Patrick's Cathedral Picture 
I toured the Dublin Castle which is located in the heart of the Dublin Center, can't wait to show my pics.  Pic below is from a the website.  The Dublin castle was originally built on the orders of King John of England in 1204 on a site previously settled by the Vikings.


I also toured the Ireland National Museum of Natural History and the National Museum of Archeology.  All Museums are free.  Will update pics from that also.  And so much more.


Let me say the Irish people are friendly, pleasant & helpful.  They really like Americans.  I found that out myself when I asked many for info and directions, even the police, who were eager to assist me with all smiles, as many others.  I even had an Irish chap, invite me to have a cup of cappuchino with him.  A handsome fellow I must say, medium build, with reddish brown hair & matching goat-tee (I had to explain what a goat-tee (beard shape )is in America. All around wherever you walked there are these cute little dainty coffee shops.  So I had a cup.  You can say I fraternized with the locals :).  What better way to learn the culture and it's people if you don't interact. Right?  Touing the city can only tell you so much as it relates to the history of the country.

It's 11:30am here & I'm off to see the coast of Dublin.  I bet that's going to be a sight.  It's quite windy out & a lil' nippy so gotta bundle up.  I can hear the wind howling.  Please check back tomorrow, I will have much to share.  This is Traventure Woman saying "Slán agat", "Good-bye" to ya.

1 comment:

  1. I think I may have figured it out!! You sure are quick with those pictures haha. Looks amazing out there. Have fun and be safe mom! We love you :o)

    ReplyDelete